Cloudflare is a U.S. company that provides a content delivery network and distributed domain name server services, sitting between the visitor and the Cloudflare user's hosting provider, acting as reverse proxy for websites. Its network protects, speeds up, and improves availability for a website or mobile application with a change in DNS. Cloudflare uses a modified version of Nginx as a key technology.
Cloudflare currently runs on an anycast network. Cloudflare aims to protect customers from DDoS attacks; they also provide other services like web application firewall (WAF). Cloudflare releases "Keyless SSL" technology that lets sites use Cloudflare's Secure Socket Layer (SSL) service while retaining on-premises custody of their private keys.
Cloudflare supercharges websites. Once your website is on-board Cloudflare, its web traffic is routed through Cloudflare’s intelligent global network. Delivery of your webpages is automatically optimized such that your visitors get the fastest page load times and best performance. Alongside that, cyber threats are blocked and abusive bots and crawlers are limited from wasting your bandwidth and server resources. End result, Cloudflare powered websites see a significant improvement in performance and a decrease of spam and other attacks.
Cloudflare is a cloud-based solution, with no installation of both hardware & software. Cloudflare operates 79 PoPs worldwide, each of which provides full functionalities both optimizing and protecting your sites against ever-evolving threats. This ensures that the visitors to your website get the best possible experience, wherever they are in the world. Cloudflare also operates one of the fastest DNS services on the web. On average, a website on Cloudflare loads twice as fast, uses 60% less bandwidth, has 65% fewer requests and is way more secure.
- CDN - Distribute your content around the world so its closer to your visitors (speeding up your site).
- Optimization - Web pages with ad servers and third party widgets load snappy on both mobile and computers.
- Security - Protect your website from online threats with our enterprise-grade Website Application Firewall (WAF).
- DDoS Protection - Ensure your website is protected againts DDoS attacks using advanced service.
- DNS - Cloudflare operates one of the fastest DNS services. It is global, powerful and always secure.
- Apps - Cloudflare apps makes installing web apps on your site fast, safe and one-click simple.
Video: Defending from DDoS Attacks - Cloudflare